Let's face it, even though many of us will never give up or print book, the fact of the matter is that e-books are also a great way to read books, and lots of them.
This week, I'm going to share some great hacks to get the most out of your e-reader. Though your mileage might vary according to the type of reader you own, most of the tips work across the board.
As a side note, this article does contain a few affiliate links meaning if you purchase something, I'll get a little bit of pocket change in return. =)
Let's Start With The Fun Stuff
First off, let's talk about ways to get what we love most... BOOKS!
1. Do you have a library card? Guess what, by installing Overdrive onto your device, you can rent and read books from your local library. Yes, there are still deadlines, but hey, think of all the free books you can read.
2. Another way to read free books is with a Kindle Unlimited Membership. Try the first month for free. If you like it, only pay $9.99 a month to keep reading. Look for me when you get there. My whole Grimwood series and the Chronicles of Alburnium series are in KU.
3. Be sure to sign up for promotional emails from places like Bookbub and E-Reader Today for sales and freebies. These are great ways to pick up first in series for free so you can see if you'll enjoy an author's books.
FYI...Do keep in mind that authors provide free books for readers to try out and see if their book appeals to their reading taste. There are pirate sites that have stolen books from authors. Be wary of them. Not only are they robbing authors and making it hard for them to make a living, but downloading from these sites puts people at great risk of getting viruses on their digital devices and computers.
Fun Stuff You Can Do
4. Read blog posts from your favorite authors. (like yours truly) =) Do you enjoy visiting author websites? Many authors offer extra information about books and characters, along with offering special deals for joining their newsletter groups.
5. See a quote from a book that you don't want to forget? Screenshot it. Usually all you need to do is hold the down volume and home key down at the same time, but devices vary. Google how to screenshot on your particular device.
6. Read newspapers and magazines on your e-reader with subscriptions.
7. Get free audio books with a free trial membership with Audible. Sometimes authors run contests and give away codes for free audio books. See a list of my books on audio HERE.
Did You Know? Extra Tips
8. Waterproof your e-reader. Want to read in the tub? Use a clear plastic bag to keep it safe. You can also purchase a waterproof case if you plan to read around water often.
9. Here's a hack I use for my books. Sometimes I need to read them in print, or on a device so I can catch things that I miss while reading on a computer. You can email mobi and epub files to your device. You can see how to do that on Kindle HERE.
10. Not sure about a word meaning? Hold your finger over that word and a dictionary will pop up for you.
11. Do you like to make notes when reading a book, or your Bible? You can transfer kindle highlights to your computer. Google how to do this on your device.
12. Want to protect what's on your reading device? Set a passcode to protect your e-reader.
I hope these tips help you get more enjoyment from your e-readers. Do you have other tips you can share with us? I'd love to hear them.
Everyone who leaves a comment here on my blog will be entered to win one free audio code for Snow Belle and for Through the Portal.
Thanks for stopping in. I hope everyone is staying safe out there. Wash your hands and if you are practicing social distancing and having to stay home, this is a great time to find new books to read and enjoy.
Blessings and Happy Reading!
J. R. C.
Jackie Castle is an author, artist and dreamer. She lives in Texas with her husband, two grown children and her dog, Banjo. She looks for the extraordinary in the ordinary in everything she experiences.